Depending on the artist's vision, various elements of an "Angel of Death" tattoo may vary significantly.
Angel of Death's face:
1. For some people, the Angel of Death is an ancient, powerful being that is neither good nor evil, but simply neutral. It is his job is to keep the cosmic balance leveled. Death claims the souls of those who die and takes them to the afterlife. It is useless to fight him as he cannot be destroyed for there is always death, there is only life because of death. The Angel of Death cannot be stopped and never gives up a claim; he (or she) cannot be bribed, tricked, or outwitted in order to retain one's life. In accordance with this belief, the Angel of Death's face is beautiful but expressionless.
2. If the Angel of Death is portrayed as an evil angel (a fallen angel) his (her) face will contain various demonic features such as red or black horns upon the forehead, reddish skin / ragged skin, dark eyes (or empty eyes), a devilish grin, etc.
3. The Angel of Death can be portrayed as a good angel who put an end to the suffering of those who need help, situation when obviously the angel has a tender and compassionate face.
4. Sometimes the Angel of Death is depicted as an winged skeleton. Usually, the skeleton's face has an evil expression: a malefic grin, burning eyes, etc.
5. Occasionally (especially when the Angel of Death is depicted as wearing the famous Grim Reaper's hooded cloak) the face of the Angel of Death is partially or completely hidden (by the hood of the cloak).
Most commonly, the Angel of the Death is depicted with long, large, archangel-like feathered wings. The color of the wings can vary according to the main theme of the tattoo: the wings can be white, white with shades of light blue (when the Angel of Death is a good angel), black (probably the most common color), black and white, black and white with shades of gray, reddish, yellow-gold, etc. Although in the most cases the Angel of Death has archangel-like feathered wings, there are many tattoos (especially when the Angel of Death is depicted as an evil angel)that the Angel of Death has demon wings, giant bat-wings, skeletal wings, etc.
faceless Angel of Death with white feathered wings
faceless Angel of Death with black feathered wings
Grim Reaper / Angel of Death with bat wings
evil Angel of Death with monster-like wings
evil Angel of Death with skeletal wings
Regarding the weapons, the tattooers have only two choices: the sword (usually highly decorated; the most common choice) or the Grim Reaper's scythe.
Regarding the clothes, there are not too many constraints, so that tattooers can unleash their imagination. The angels of death are depicted wearing monastic clothes, hooded cloaks, ragged clothes and even chained tunics and breastplates (when the Angel of Death is portrayed as an warrior angel).
Angel of Death wearing a hooded cloak
Angel of Death portrayed as a young woman wearing sexy clothes
Angel of Death wearing monastic clothes
warrior Angel of Death wearing a breastplate
Death tattoos: angels of death - themes and representations (1)
Death tattoos: angels of death (1)
Angel of Death tattoos: examples and ideas
Death tattoos: the main depictions of the Grim Reaper
Death Tattoos / Grim Reaper Tattoos: themes and meanings